Thursday, September 22, 2005

Open minded

As I sit from my measly cubicle in the depths of my "working for the man" office, which I must profess is not nearly as dire as Les Nessman's digs on WKRP in Cincinnati and not nearly as posh as Dilbert's Ultimate Cubicle but of course I digress. I think about all the advocates for various causes. Those who fight so valiantly to get their point across. Really I've got to hand it to them because despite what they have to say, they are free speech advocates.

And in this vein of free speech I've got some time on the soapbox coming to me.

First off, there are some god fearing people here who want to set into the Constitution what marriage is. Sadly, they forgot the first tenet of marriage being love. Instead they want to break all emotional bonds between people and let those who go off in a drunken stupor and get hitched have more rights than same sex couples who are committed to their partners, many of them life partners. Love isnt A or B, it isnt a 1 or a 0, it isnt something that can be confined to strict guidelines. I can only hope that one day people open their eyes and their minds to possibilites that the authors of this sneaky amendment want to pass. This is the article and if you live in Florida or know someone who does, please make them badger the hell out of their elected officials to stop this from happening. Marriage is just a court document, it cannot fully express the bond people create in their hearts.

Second issue, stem cell research...yeah I know, I am going with the heavy hitters today :) Florida recently got in the business of biotech with the groundbreaking of the Scripps Mecca site this week. Well, more accurately, ground was broken to create the permanent facility. The Scripps agreement has been in the works for at least 2 years. Now the advocates in Florida have come together to form Floridians for Stem Cell Research and Cures which was barely a blip on the radar this summer, July to be exact. They are relying solely on volunteers to help gather signatures to get the language on the ballot. This is a statewide issue but is being drummed up in Palm Beach. The local papers have two good articles covering the events here and here. I say go for it in terms of research. Who knows what mysteries we can unlock with these amazingly powerful cells. I read recently that neural stem cells repaired the spines of paralyzed mice. Pretty damn amazing if you ask me. I am sufficiently convinced that through a bit of scientific ingenuity and know how that using stem cells could unlock the cure to some of the greatest maladies that plague us today. I can only hope that the advocates are strong enough to get their word out that this is unlocking life, not taking it away frivolously.

Third, I am going to touch on the Katrina stuff before Rita ever hits. Now the guy over at the Orlando Sentinel must have been listening in on my conversations. I've been saying for a while now Dubbya needs to take lessons from Jebbie on hurricane preparedness. At least his version of the story made it to the press. Pretty funny account too if you ask me. Mine probably would have been too snarky.

And hooray for the guys at NASA who in spite of everything else still want to go to the moon. They are ready to resume operations at Michoud with those crazy kats from Lock-Mart. "In my opinion, we won't be going back to the moon without Michoud," said Patrick Scheuermann, NASA's chief operating officer at Michoud. You guys have my support if that counts for anything.

I've been working on this silly post now for three hours trying to eck some time out to write it all. I was going to go into my votes on the fall tv line up but that'll have to wait for another post. This is what I get for having So long and thanks for all the fish playing in my head.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home