Thursday, October 27, 2005

Hurricane Fatigue

After hearing reports about life on the beach from J.Weston I am amazed at the sheer number of people who decided that a hurricane preparedness kit was merely a suggestion for living in sunny Florida. Though I am not a native of this state, I have learned a thing or two about preparing for storms. Little things really count like having a manual can opener and some bottled water. To be fair, in all the years I've lived here my family has been lucky. Sure there was the occassional landscape damage and there was minor structural damage to screened in areas but we've had greater damage in regular thunderstorms.

But the past two years have really opened my eyes. I'm sure the news savvy of you out there have heard it all. Now I share my two cents from a here and now perspective. It's definitely been nerve wracking. Frances, Jeanne, Charley, Ivan, Dennis, Katrina, Rita, and Wilma are names I am not soon to forget and there is a good bet a lot of the people I know will not forget either. So are people not as prepared as they should be because they are tired? Unfortunately, that wouldn't surprise me. Few things can compare to a hurricane. Lots of people take them for granted while others live by their movements in the open water. If all of the reports the weather folks are telling us ring true, this is only the beginning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home