Monday, October 24, 2005

A New Look on Debt

I found this article while perusing the harrowing accounts of Hurricane Wilma roaring through the state and making sure that my peeps down south are ok through all of this fun Florida weather.

The article has a good discussion on how people who use credit to balance out their bills shouldn't be seen as those living lavishly or having no financial values, rather it is more of a signal of those who are underpaid and/or underinsured. I can attest to a lot of what the writer has to say. By no means do I go out and paint the town red. I am thankful for what I can go out and do and dream about the stuff that 'one day' I'll get to do.

As someone who considers themselves well educated and well grounded it is quite unsettling to know that there are so many of us out there who balance credit with our regular income. Optimistically, I'd love to think that I can get a job that would pay me closer to what I am worth so I could live marginally better. Like everyone else, I know I've made some bonehead decisions when it comes to finances. Considering that I've been living paycheck to paycheck for a while now, most of those missteps havent led me down a dark spiraling chasm of doom yet I know realistically I will have to live with my debt for some time to come. I applaud those who can emerge from the financial labryinth that we seem to be guided into as we get jobs and assume more adult responsibilities. Maybe one day I can join your ranks, but it surely won't be in the near future. I can only wish...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home